Impress your fellow Disney fans with this Disney Mulan inspired Mushu’s Happy Porridge recipe. Everyone enjoys a smile in the morning especially when it is made out of bacon.
Mushu’s Happy Porridge
Mushu’s Happy Porridge is featured when Mulan is about to start her training. Mushu wakes her up the first morning with this happy breakfast to get her day started!
It’s called, “Congee”.
The actual name for the porridge from Mulan is congee, which is a Chinese porridge made from rice.
There are a few different ways to make it, and it’s very versatile. You can add whatever flavorings and toppings you’d like, like garlic or ginger flavors, and topped with scallions, chicken, or maybe even chopped peanuts.
What does Congee taste like?
It tastes like plain, unflavored, fairly thick, hot rice cereal. If you like eating rice and have eaten rice as hot cereal, think of congee as a savory version of hot cereal. Japanese have a similar rice dish called Okayu.
Of course, for this, I am topping my congee with a slice of bacon and two sunny-side-up eggs. And don’t worry, no lucky crickets allowed.
How To Make Mushu’s Happy Porridge
- Prep: 40 Minutes
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup white rice
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a sauce pot, add eight cups water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling add in 1 cup white rice.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium then simmer 20 minutes.
- Do not stir frequently.
- Stir very little and softly.
- The last two minutes add the ginger.
- Once the rice is cooked and the mixture starts to look thick turn off the heat and whisk the rice.
- This breaks up the rice and thickens the porridge.
- Add butter to a skillet.
- Place skillet on a low heat. Melt butter.
- Crack the eggs and cook sunny side up.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in another skillet.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl.
- Top with the sunny side up eggs and bacon as the smile.
Your Mushu’s Happy Porridge is now ready.
Serve and enjoy!