Rock Candy Sticks
Rock candy is one of the easiest homemade candies to make, but it does take a bit of time. Making Rock Candy can seem more like an experiment than a recipe, so it is the perfect DIY Project for kids.
What You Will Need
- 6” Wooden Sticks for Rock Candy
- Wide-Mouth Mason Jars
- Food Coloring
- Granulated Sugar
- Candy Flavoring, optional
- Large Pot
- Warm Water
- Soak sticks briefly in water and roll in sugar to coat. Allow to dry completely.
- Add warm water to a large saucepan. Stir in sugar until no more will dissolve.
- Place the saucepan on the stove and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Add remaining sugar and any additional sugar as needed until you reach a fully saturated solution, and no more sugar will dissolve. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the mason jars and add food coloring and/or candy flavoring as desired.
- Add two sugared sticks to each jar, making sure that the sticks don't touch the jar or each other. Use clothespins to hold the sticks in place as needed.
- Place the jars in a warm and undisturbed location. Wait for 5-10 days until crystals are fully formed. Remove the sticks from the jar and enjoy.
- Place in a ziplock bag for storage or wrap individually in treat bags.