Little Blog Big Savings may earn a small commission at no cost to you via affiliate links including Amazon. All deals within this site are Limited Time Offers and are subject to change without notice. Affiliate Disclosure
This Pumpkin Spice Fry Bread recipe is a flat dough bread made with simple ingredients and fried in oil for a crispy exterior that’s doughy and soft in the middle.
Pumpkin Spice Fry Bread
Fry bread can be used in lots of different ways. Dress it up with beef, lettuce, and tomato for Navajo tacos or top it with honey butter and jam for a sweeter treat but today we are making Pumpkin Spice Fry Bread.
- 1 cup of flour + a little extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin spice
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mix and add vanilla.
- Pour milk over top of the vanilla and begin mixing with a small spatula or a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Flour your work area and pull the dough out of the mixing bowl.
- Knead by hand on a floured surface until the dough feels smooth and not at all sticky.
- Allow it to rest for 5 to 10 minutes in the fridge as you preheat a deep skillet of oil.
- I use 2 to 3 cups of oil in a large frying pan, heated on medium high heat. You need about an inch and a half over the bottom of the skillet.
- As your oil is heating up, begin to divide the dough up into 6 sections. With your hands, work the dough until it is about ½ inch thick.
- Poke a little hole here and there in the dough to keep it flat, but if you want the pumpkin spice fry bread to be puffy and fluffy, you can skip poking holes in it.
- Allow the dough to dry for about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip it. The coloring should be a nice golden brown. After frying the other side, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels for a moment.
Your family and friends will love it.