Homemade Yellow Mustard
Homemade yellow mustard is very easy to make from mustard powder, vinegar, and a couple other basic pantry staples. You just may never go back to store-bought!
Here's how to make it from scratch.
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup yellow dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic purée or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- Place the water, dry mustard, salt, turmeric, garlic, and paprika in a small nonreactive saucepan and whisk until smooth.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low to low heat, stirring often, until it bubbles down to a thick paste, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Whisk the vinegar into the mustard mixture and continue to cook until it’s thickened to the desired consistency—you know, the usual prepared mustard consistency—which can take anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes.
- Let the mustard cool to room temperature before spooning the mustard into an airtight container. (I prefer Mason Jars).
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Tip: The mustard will be quite pungent the first few days or even weeks but will mellow with time.